Time frame: 28 February - 25 March
Description: The Course presents the key aspects of the migration phenomenon from different angles, including the obligations and concerns of States and the rights and responsibilities of migrants. The workshop includes an analysis of the international legal instruments that relate to migration, as well as the legal framework concerning other categories of persons in need of international protection, such as refugees, victims of trafficking and smuggled persons. The audience has the opportunity to analyse the complex nature of today’s migratory phenomenon, including trends, causes, journeys and associated risks, integration in the country of destination and return and reintegration in the country of origin. The Course studies the key components of migration management and governance, and the link with sustainable development. For this, participants will be exposed to the current developments generated by the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration.
Target audience: The Course is developed primarily to benefit mid and senior-level government officials involved in the formulation and application of legislation and policies affecting migrant persons. Members of the civil society and the academia, who could positively influence the safeguard of migrants’ rights and advocate for their protection, are also accepted as participants.
- Promote law, principles and policies relating to the protection of migrants and other persons in need of protection;
- Enhance participants’ skills to develop and apply policies and programmes in conformity with International Law;
- Strengthen participants’ ability to contribute to the development of effective migration management systems;
- Encourage the sharing of good practices and experiences among participants and with international experts.
Cover picture: Migrants walk in the early morning dawn on Lesvos, in September 2020. The numbers crossing the Aegean Sea to the Greek island have fallen, but at what cost? (Nicolas Economou via Reuters Connect)
- Учитель: Clara de Haro Arbona